Electric indoor wheelchairs are a boon to wheelchair users. They add power, speed and comfort to the experience. Indoor electric wheelchairs are for people who have absolutely no mobility, even at home. However, indoor wheelchairs cannot be used outdoors, except in the garden or lawn. There is a huge variety of indoor wheelchair brands to choose from. They are provided with several options and can be custom designed to suit individual needs. There are also plenty of styles and colors to choose from.
Certain guidelines must be met while providing an indoor electric wheelchair to a person. The person should be suffering from a defect of the locomotor system or from chronic heart or lung conditions that make walking impossible. The person should be unable to effectively self-propel a manual wheelchair indoors. The wheelchair user should also be able to achieve a fair level of independence in the home because of the electric indoor wheelchair. The need of this chair should be permanent or at least long term.
There are also some dual electric wheelchairs, which are fit for both indoor as well as outdoor use. Some criteria required for this kind of electric wheelchair, in addition to the guidelines for indoor electric wheelchairs include the following:
1. Users must have adequate field and acuity of vision to be safe on public roads.
2. Users should have the ability to comply with DVLC requirements for motor vehicle drivers concerning epilepsy and other causes of loss of consciousness.
3. Users should not require accessories, modifications or special seating outside of the range supplied by the powered chair manufacturer.
4. Users should comply with the manufacturer’s recommended occupant weight limit for the chair.
5. Users should have a residential environment, which is compatible with the use of a dual-purpose powered chair, and which includes a suitable storage area and power supply for battery charging.
6. Users should have a local outside environment that is accessible by a dual-purpose powered chair and compatible with its use.
7. Users should have the capacity to derive significant improvement in their independence and quality of life through use of a dual-purpose powered chair.
Electric Wheel Chairs Info provides detailed information about electric wheelchair lifts and scooters, used electric wheelchairs, electric indoor wheelchairs, Medicare, electric wheelchair reviews, and more. Electric Wheel Chairs Info is the sister site of Scooters Web.